Tuesday, August 02, 2005

reading 2: pleasure-in-crisis

So far this summer I have not read a single book "for pleasure." Today I went to the town library to grade papers, while sucking in the AC, and I took out a book: The Book of Salt. I think I deserve to read it.

Earlier in the summer I started reading Highsmith: A Romance of the 1950s. I wasn't terribly impressed with the writing, but I was intrigued enough to keep reading, so I would like to finish it.

I think that one or both of these two books should join me on my three day bike adventure next week. In addition, I'll bring along Zavarzadeh's "The Pedagogy of Pleasure 2: The Me-in-Crisis." Not sure what else from the academic world will come along.

Maybe the book I'm (I've been) currently reading--the one that really does not seem to apply to my project in any way (I could say this about A LOT of the things I'm reading right now--e.g. Althusser)--A Place to Stand: Politics and Persuasion in a Working Class Bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
I was surprised to see you after some 6 years. I was an MA student at Northern when you were on your way out. My name is Jason Harper; you may not remember me. We were in Maria Mazziotti Gillan’s poetry class in the summer of 1999.
I'm currently at Wichita State University finishing my MFA (fiction) and am looking at PhD programs around the country. I'd heard good things about SUNY Binghamton and Albany, clicked to see about their programs, and saw your listing.
I hope all is well with you. Please let me know how things are and how you're holding up so far away from Marquette. (helloharper at yahoo .com)